Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Boston Cream Pie (Cake, whatever)



Posted by -colleen
This month's recipe challenge could not have been more perfect! First, I've never made a Boston Cream Pie before and that is the point of Have the Cake (to try more recipes)! Second, I have a dinner party on the 29th and need to bring dessert. Third, the dinner party hostess has an all-time favorite dessert and it is-Boston Cream Pie. Last, I got these very pretty measuring cups from Anthropologie for my birthday and I got to put them all to use.
I used the recipe for the cake and custard filling from grouprecipes.com but I used a glaze recipe from allrecipes.com (because it involved using more chocolate and well, it involved using more chocolate).
The whole thing was easier than I thought it would be. The only "problem" I had was that it was super humid outside and baking is just not as fun when you're sweating. I made the cake first and while it was baking (it took exactly 20 minutes) I got the custard completed. I left the cakes and custard cooling for about an hour and then assembled before putting the chocolate on the stove to melt. It made a nice, thick but still pourable frosting that covered the cake perfectly and dribbled just a bit over the edges. I then wrapped the poor thing in a TON of plastic wrap and put it in the fridge hoping it would stay nice and fresh for the dinner.
Then, I just had to wait and see how it was received...
The conclusion was...the custard was perfection. The chocolate top was divine. The cake was...good. A few people thought the texture was excellent. Personally, I would have liked it a little more moist. I would make this again and just try a slightly different version of the cake.
Yum!

4 comments:

Rena said...

It's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Looks scrumptious!!!!!

Jessica said...

Yum!!

bookmagic said...

Looks good, especially for your first try