Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Strawberry Tart Tatin

Posted by -Alida @ My Little Italian Kitchen




I tried  tart tatin for the first time during a visit to France. I felt it was one of the most yummy cakes I had ever tried.
My favourite cakes are usually fruit tarts and the French are particularly good at them.

This is just a nice alternative to the classic tart, the crunchiness of the pastry and the sweetness of the caramelized topping makes it an elegant and extremely delicious cake.

Instead of the classic apples I have used strawberries as they are now in season  here in England.
It is simply divine.

Ingredients:
                                                             
For the shortcrust pastry:
  • 200 g flour
  • 90 g butter
  • 60 g water
  • a pinch of salt
For the topping:
  • 300 g strawberries
  • 100 g sugar
  • 70 g butter
In a round baking tin put 70 g of butter and 100 g of sugar and caramelize it on a source of heat. It should get a nice dark golden colour. The caramel has to cover all of the base of the baking tin.

Slice the strawberries and lay them onto the caramel without leaving any gaps.

Make the pastry by working with your hands the butter, the flour, the water and the salt.
You should get a nice smooth dough. Now put it in the fridge for 30 minutes wrap it in cling film.

Take it out of the fridge and with a rolling pin flatten it out and cover well the strawberries. Make a couple of small incisions so the steam will be released during cooking.

Cook at 180 C for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is nice and golden.
When cooked leave it to rest for a couple of minutes then turn it upside down with the help of a plate and serve it warm with some cream if you like.





15 comments:

Pilar. Cook and Spoon said...

Really delicious and it doesn't matter whether it is with apples or strawberries. Always yummy!

Unknown said...

I would have never thought of that, looks delicious!

Betsy Brock said...

what a beautiful looking tatin! I wish I could have a slice of that right now! Mmmmm!

Megha Sarin said...

WOW! This looks so yummy <3

love
http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow!! This tart looks delicious and really wonderful! I love the tart and the filling is really well done :) Love it!

Unknown said...

Look at the lovely colour. Absolutely delish ALida! Great recipe.

Anonymous said...

I love Strawberries so I must try out this recipe. Looks delicious!

Spice up the Curry said...

wow so lovely. delicious

muppy said...

what a great idea to use strawberries, looks great, my tarte tatins are a bit hit and miss!

Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...

Looks fabulous!

Salvador Antonacci said...

Wow what a delicious tart,looks yummy refreshing. I wish I had one next to me at this moment.Tanks for sharing the recipe.

garlutti said...

Delicious tart,Love it! MARIMI

Anonymous said...

I am drooling over your site!

Unknown said...

Oh thank you for visiting me..I'm now following you and now I'm hungry! Beautiful food! Yummy food!
I will be back for more..

Unknown said...

This looks delicious!! I'm a new follower!!

Barbara http://chase-thestar.blogspot.com